SpineUniverse Community Advice
Get help and share your story with others who know what you're going through.
Please register or log in to join the discussions!
Posted in: Back pain, and Scoliosis.

Harrington Rod

Started by msiwek456 on 05/31/2014 6:04pm

My name is Mary Ann and I am 64 years old. I live in New York City. I had my rod put in when I was 18 years old. It has cuased me so much pain. At 64, my physical appearance is changing. The hump that is on my left side running from my shoulder to my hip is getting worse. It is really protruding. I had a bone knob sticking out of my lower back and I am in pain. I would like to find out what my options are. Should I have the rod removed? Is my rod sill in place in my back? I don't know if I should see a doctor who specializes in Harrington Rods or a chiropractor. Also the insurance that I have is Medicaid. I am so afraid that it is getting worse and it has. Please others who have similar problems, please get in touch and suggest some professional help either via doctor or chiropractor. Thank you.

Do you find this discussion helpful?

2 Responses


Hi Mary Ann, I also am having similar issues due to fusion and Harrington rod for scoliosis from decades ago. You need to see an orthopedic doctor that has knowledge in scoliosis. You can search for one on Spine Universe or search on the Scoliosis Research Society ( SRS) site. You can also gather information from the National Scoliosis Foundation, Scoliosis.org, Scoliosis Support and Yahoo groups- flatback revised or fiesty scolio flatbackers. Spine Universe has a good read on flatback syndrome. The problems we are having are very common with others that had this procedure done years ago. The harrington rod didn't allow for our bodys natural curve (lordosis) and caused more wear and tear on our unfused discs. Just know if you end up having to have a surgical revision there are only a few surgeons qualified to do this, so do your research to make sure that physician has done several of these surgerys sucessfully. Best to you and hope you feel better.


Good morning Mary Ann, I too live in NYC and was born with Spina Bifida. At the age of 17 my parents not knowing much due to a language barrier, opted for me to have a Harrington Rod placed. I am now 48 years of age and have been experiencing the worst pain I can ever imagine for the past couple of months. I am under the care of an Orthopedic at Mount Sinai Hospital, Dr. Samuel Cho and he suggested that I have a CT Scan with Myleogram performed. Have you ever had one done? Well, let me tell you, it was horrible. The pain in my back is progressively worse and I can barely sit up in my wheelchair. I was not prescribed any pain medication, only told to take Tylenol and on top of that I due to the Spina Bifida, I have what's called Chairi Decompression and have to have surgery for that first before anything else with the back can be done.

I am going to be doing further research because I am not only not satisfied with this Orthopedic, but with today's technology, there has to be something else out there that can be done.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience and I hope your issue is being addressed appropriately.