SpineUniverse Community Advice
Get help and share your story with others who know what you're going through.
Please register or log in to join the discussions!

Desperate! Can't Walk!!

Started by Bhanford520 on 02/14/2017 4:22pm

This is my first time posting in any forum, but I am in need of help. I am a 42 year old male and I have experienced back and leg pain since I was 23. I had a discectomy in 1997 and a foramenality in 2006. I recovered remarkably from my initial surgery, but the second only brought intermittent relief. Recently for unknown reasons I started urinating myself and eventually developing extreme and constant pain down my right leg that has progressively gotten to the point that I cannot sit or stand. I went to an Ortho doc and had an MRI done. The MRI shows degenerative disc throughout my thoracic and Lumbar. At L4-L5 global disc bulge is slightly eccentric to the left with mild to moderate bilateral foramenality narrowing greater on the left. At L5-S1 there is prominent disc herniation that is right paracentral extends into the right lateral recess and the right neural foramen and fully effaces the exiting right-side nerves particularly the S1 nerve root.

I don't understand all of what the MRI means, but recently on top of the right leg pain it is now in.my left and I am basically left with non stop nerve pain that is debilitating and on top of that I urinate myself when sitting in certain positions.
Can anyone help me? My doc wants to continue epidurals that have never worked. I am completely off work and am in a desperate situation here. What is going on with me? I have had pain before, but this is the worst!!

Do you find this discussion helpful?

3 Responses


It is my understanding that incontinence (peeing yourself) is a sign that you need emergency care in a hospital to prevent permanent nerve damage!! Please have this checked out now at the ER or as least get a second opinion. I'd contact a neurosurgeon rather than an ortho, since the focus should be on nerve damage rather than just pain relief!! Please let us know how you're doing!


Hi, Bhanford520--thank you for sharing your experience. We are so sorry to hear about your pain and symptoms.

We're glad you didn't wait to see your doctor when you started having bladder problems, which a neurological symptom. And, like BonnieRae mentioned, these symptoms shouldn't be ignored. We did a bit of research on SpineUniverse and found some content that might resonate with you ( Spinal Disorders May Cause Neurogenic Bladder Disorder or Dysfunction ).

We also agree with BonnieRae that it may be a good idea to consult a neurosurgeon about your situation, as they are trained to identify nerve pain and get to the root (no pun intended) of what's going on. If you need help finding a qualified neurosurgeon in your area, we have a doctor finder tool for that: https://www.spineuniverse.com/locate/spe... .

We hope you get some answers and relief soon!


This post is kinda old, but I just joined. I've had back pain issues for almost 2 yrs, aside from Dr. info, I've read up alot on it.
Inability to control urination or bowel movements is serious. You should go to ER.
As far as your Dr. wanting to continue epidural injections..........forget that.
Been there, done that. If they don't help you ALOT for several weeks or months, the Dr. is just padding his wallet.
Even my new pain mgt. Dr. said, if injections don't help ALOT for more than 2 wks, my case, referral to neurosurgeon. Not Ortho Dr.
Even tho my neuorsurgeon specializes in minimally invasive procedures, he saw stuff on my MRI CD that the report did not mention. So he ordered another MRI of thoracic.
I have a total of 7 herniated discs and 5 bulging discs between the lumbar and thoracic/mid back.
I too, have herniated discs at L5-S1. That is lowest disc in back and the sciatic disc, which affects nerve pain in hips and legs.

Open back surgery only way to fix it.
Disc degeneration is age related, but with herniated, bulging disc on top of it, major nerve pain.

Bottom line, get a referral from pain mgt. Dr. for neurosurgeon consult, and quit the injections.
I understand your pain.