SpineUniverse Community Advice
Get help and share your story with others who know what you're going through.
Please register or log in to join the discussions!

Really tender part of spine?

Started by melcoles on 01/13/2011 9:00am

I have a really tender bit on my spine. I would say about 2 inches below my below button. There is a dull ache in that area a lot of the time, but when I run my fingers down my spine there is an exact point where it is really tender. I also get sciatica from time to time.

Other points that may be of use. I suffered with chronic pain all over a few years go. At the time they blamed this on slipped discs, then said it was Fibromyalgia. I have been ok for just over a year with this though, with just the odd symptoms.

More recently I had problems with pain in my neck and shoulder, and shooting pains down my arm. The GP and physio both said it was definately a slipped disc and was causing nerve compression, due the symptoms being so specific in area and type.

I have mentioned this to my GP a few weeks ago, and he had a look, asked me about hips lifetd my legs while I was laid down etc. He said to keep an eye on it, but the constant tenderness in that area worries me. Even when my back feels fine if I lean on that area it hurts. My husband got me a lumbar support for my chair, but it presses on the exact area so I can't use it.

My Mum has sponydylosis, and my Dad has what he calls a crumbling spine, have never got any better than that out of him. My GP says I am too young (31) so not to worry. It could be the chronic pain returning I suppose but doesn't feel that same.

I really don't want to waste my GP's time, but I would like to know the cause. I already take Gabapentin, Celcoxib and other pain medication so can't do much there, and would rather not take any more anyway.

Any advice would be great, thanks, Mel.

Do you find this discussion helpful?

1 Response


Thanks, have been to see my GP, who said he thinks I have slipped disc at T4/5 as well as C7/L1. Has referred me to see a Musculoskeletal doctor to find out why it has happened.