SpineUniverse Community Advice
Get help and share your story with others who know what you're going through.
Please register or log in to join the discussions!
Posted in: Scoliosis.

Newly Diagnosed Scoliosis

Started by Phyllis on 02/04/2010 7:18pm

Hello, I'm new to the board and I'm actually in concern for my son. He is 22 and was just given the diagnosis of Scoliosis after seeking medical treatment for whiplash after a recent car accident. We don't know much yet. The specialist did confirm he has Scoliosis. My question is what next? What treatment can we expect and what kind of progression are we looking at? I really don't understand how this condition was never caught in his childhood. He has always been very athletic and had sports physicals all through his sporting years as well as all the general kid exams growing up.

Do you find this discussion helpful?

2 Responses


I hope your son is ok after car accident. Not fun. I had whiplash a few weeks back and am pleased it's behind me. You ask great question sabout scoliosis. Having had some family expereince with this, here are my "amateur" thoughts!:

1. Scoliosis curves often don't need any treatment! If they are small enough an ddon't progress, you often don't need any further treatment.

2. Not a lot of really good doctors treat scoliosis...so make sure you see someone who is well trained abd often treats adult scoliosis. Generally ask for an orthopaedic surgeon who treats spinal deformity, and is spine fellowship trained.

3. If a surgeon recommends surgery - he/she may well be right, BUT always get a second opinion from another spine surgeon too.

4. You can find a bunch of great info about scoliosis here: Scoliosis Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment

I hope this helps. Try not to be too worried....a lot of people have scoliosis and very few ever need surgery.



Sorry thast your son has scoliosis. If it wasn't detected in school, or in various athletic physicals, it is probably very mild. If it was more obvious, you'd have noticed it when he was growing up....parens often notice things like one trouser leg seems longer than the other if the curve is significant.

Your best bet is to be sure your son sees an ortho specialist, who treats a lot of adult scoliosis. He'll probably just monitor his curve over the years, and more often than not no treatment will be needed. If over the years the curve starts getting a lot worse, the ortho might suggest some non-surgical treatments first.

Anyway, that's just my opinion from having had a similr problem in our family. I hope this helps a little. Good luck.